last updated on: 2nd Dec 2013
The Christmas Starts with Christ advertising campaign has one simple objective: to put Christian faith on the conversational agenda at Christmas time.
The Christmas story has been around for a long time, but today it's being forgotten.
Just 12 per cent of adults know the nativity story, and more than one-third of children don’t know whose birthday it is. Meanwhile, 51 per cent of people now say the birth of Jesus is irrelevant to their Christmas.
So here's a check-list of things to help you in your Christmas preparations:
1. Are you preparing carol services, service sheets, Christmas cards or websites for your church? Make sure you add the Christmas Starts With Christ logo to all Christmas info your church creates. With so many great Christian organisations backing the campaign, our shared logo provides a sense of unity to what we're individually doing.
2. Print the national Christmas Starts With Christ posters and think about local shops, takeaways, libraries, community centres etc you can ask to display a copy in their window and set a date to deliver them.
3. You can also customise the posters to what you do locally, download the PDF customisable copies from the website.
4. Put a note in your news sheet about the Real Advent Calendar – a great way to share the Christmas story – which is available to order online, in Tesco stores from 7th October and in select independent shops.
5. Get together with other churches in your area to help the new radio adverts get aired - listen to them and find out how you can air them on your areas radio station here.
6. If you are as concerned about this issue as we are, help us fight back. Please share this link with all your Christian friends www.ChristmasStartsWithChrist.com by email Facebook and Twitter and encourage them to join with us. Together we can turn the tide!
7. Get your creative thinking caps on to come up with a great way to 'launch' the festive season on Christmas Starts Sunday on 1st December. Carols? Advent wreaths? Advent candles? Tree lights? Hanging a giant Christmas Starts With Christ logo from your building? Or something completely different? Whatever you're thinking, make sure you invite family and friends to kick things off with a bang!
To get hold of all the resources and to read more visit the website
Visit singchristmas.org.uk to find out how you can get involved in the BBC Radio Leicester event on Monday 23rd December. Simply support your local event or help organise one!
An online advent calendar from Tearfund. Sign up to receive thoughts.
A series of Advent challenges designed by the Diocese of St Albans. Sign up to receive by mobile or email.
Resources to see you through Advent with Christian aid:
Want to buy Ethical Christmas Gifts