last updated on: 23rd Jan 2014
What To Do in the Case of an Emergency
The Property Department is available during working hours (8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday) to give advice on the maintenance and upkeep of property.
If you have an emergency, and you are sure it is not a matter that can be dealt with by the Property Department when it re-opens, then authority is given to take reasonable action to reduce further damage.
The following contractors can be contacted outside normal office hours:
HEATING & PLUMBING – East Goscote Plumbers 0116 260 7766
GENERAL BUILDING – Jim Collins 0758 117 7739
ELECTRICAL – A R Smiths - 0116 262 1874
DRAINS – Harborough Drainage 0185 846 8084
TREES – George Walkers 0786 078 1083 / 0771 121 7704
Diocesan Surveyors - Don West 07734 980368 and Jonathan Warren 0116 240 2586/0780 890 6164
EIG also hold an emergency list of approved contractors and their number is 01452 528 533
Please contact a member of the Property Department on 0116 261 5316 at the earliest opportunity to alert them to the problem.
The following advice or information may be useful in an emergency:
In the case of a fire:
- Get everyone out of the building
- Stay out
- Dial the Fire Service immediately on 999 – it’s free from any phone
- If possible, close all doors and windows behind you (to delay fire spreading)
- If you need to open a closed door, check to see whether it feels hot first – if it does, there may be fire behind it so don’t open it
PLAN A FIRE ESCAPE ROUTE
Plan what you would do if there were a fire in your home and always keep the escape routes clear
Make sure everyone in your home is familiar with the escape plan
If the main exit from your home locks with a key make sure the key is always easily accessible and everyone in your household knows where it's kept.
You can find more detailed advice on the Fire Service website: http://fireservice.co.uk/.
If you smell gas strongly:
- Turn off the gas lever at the mains, which is next to the gas meter, by pulling the lever down
- Do not operate electrical switches – on or off. A spark could cause an explosion
- Put out any naked flames and cigarettes
- Open windows and doors
- Ring the local gas emergency telephone number: 0800 111 999 immediately
If there is a weaker smell of gas:
Phone your local gas emergency number immediately: 0800 111 999.
Treat it as a serious gas leak and follow above procedures.
You can find more detailed gas advice on the following website: